Which Afghan Blanket is the Best?
Sometimes referred to as crocheted or knitted blankets, Afghan blankets come in a variety of colors, patterns, and designs. They can add a more traditional or colorful aesthetic to any room. They’re also comfortable and warm, making them perfect for snuggling up on the couch or chair on a cold day. If you’re looking for something that’s both functional and creative, this is the Boho Throw Outdoor Knitted Tassel Blanket is the best option.
What you should know before buying an afghan blanket
Similar to throw blankets, Afghan blankets can add a bit of decor to any room. They can be thrown over large pieces of furniture like armchairs or sofas, or neatly folded. Some can even be added to an existing bedspread for a pop of color.
Since they are also functional, you can also use these blankets like any other. They’re the perfect way to stay warm and cozy on those cold evenings at home. Also, they are designed to be breathable, which means you won’t easily sweat while using them.
Afghan blankets come in almost every size. Some are small enough to just cover your legs and lap, while others are large enough to be used as a replacement for a standard blanket. Usual sizes are:
- 36 inches by 48 inches: Intended for the lap.
- 50 inches by 65 inches: Intended for general use.
Those that fit on a mattress are also usually measured in inches. Here are the standard measurements based on the bed size:
- single beds: 66 inches by 90 inches.
- Full beds: 80 inches by 90 inches.
- Queen beds: 90 inches by 100 inches.
- King Size Beds: 108 inches by 100 inches.
cleaning and maintenance
While many modern duvets and throws are machine washable, afghan quilts often require special care when cleaning. This is mainly because they are crocheted or knitted and can unravel if thrown in the machine. Here’s the best way to wash one of these blankets:
- Fill a basin with cold or room temperature water and a mild detergent.
- Put the blanket in the water and let it soak completely.
- Pour out the basin and add new water without detergent.
- Repeat this process until the water is completely clear.
- Remove the blanket and pinch very lightly to remove excess water. Avoid wringing it out. If necessary, blot with an absorbent towel to remove more liquid.
- Put the blanket in a warm place to air dry. If necessary, turn it over every few hours until dry.
If you want to machine wash it, first check the label for recommended cleaning instructions. Some afghan blankets can be washed on a gentle cycle and tumble dried on a low setting.
What you should look for in a high-quality Afghan blanket
The material used affects the following: texture, heat retention, comfort and durability.
Most Afghan blankets are made from yarns, with the most common options being:
- Wool: This is a natural fiber that is durable, easy to dye and gentle on sensitive skin. It varies in weight.
- Acrylic: Similar to wool, acrylic is soft and warm. However, it is usually lighter than woolen blankets.
- Cotton: Hypoallergenic and lightweight, cotton is a sustainable fabric that is comfortable and warm.
- Nylon: Nylon is well insulated and lightweight, and its stretch makes it resistant to general wear and tear.
- Polyester: Polyester is a relatively inexpensive material that is durable and resistant to tears and wrinkles. These blankets are often machine-safe.
Some Afghan blankets use a combination of these materials, such as cotton and nylon, giving them the benefits of both.
Because they are crocheted or knitted together, afghan blankets usually have a distinct, repeating pattern. Especially with wool, there are often intentional gaps between the seams. This gives the blanket increased airflow, making it comfortable to use while preventing overheating.
When it comes to pattern and construction, here are the main types of blankets:
- mile per minute: These blankets are made up of several long strips joined at the edges. The stripes tend to be thicker and look chunkier.
- Motive: Motifs are individual squares, pentagons, circles, stars or other shapes that are put together to form a whole blanket.
- Round: These blankets offer a distinctly round shape and often have a repeating or spiral pattern throughout.
- Ripple: These are constructed to have waves or waves in the pattern.
Some Afghan blankets have tassels around the edges, while others have a distinct border or are borderless. Depending on the style and material, some are more textured than others. Many are reversible, meaning they have the same pattern and texture on both sides.
color and theme
These crocheted blankets also come in many colors such as: B. monochrome blue, red, yellow or green. Others combine colors, shapes and patterns for a traditional, modern, rustic, vintage, warm or cool theme.
How much you can spend on an afghan blanket
A simple afghan blanket starts at around $15, while a more detailed or larger one made with higher quality yarns can cost over $100.
Frequently Asked Questions About Afghan Blankets
Can you make an afghan blanket?
A If you know how to crochet and have enough yarn, it is possible to make an afghan blanket. Look for an online video tutorial on how to create the design or pattern of your choice.
What are some common problems with these blankets?
A If they are not well made or the material is not durable enough, these blankets can stretch or lose their shape over time, especially if machine washed. However, if you know how to crochet or knit, it is possible to return the blanket to its original shape. Another common problem is that these blankets can smell musty if they haven’t been cleaned in a while.
What is the best afghan blanket to buy?
Top Afghan Blanket
What you need to know: This decorative afghan throw is colorful and will brighten up any room.
What you will love: With five vibrant patterns to choose from, this acrylic throw can add color to your living room or bedroom. It has beautiful fringes and is soft and comfortable. It’s also big enough to get cozy at 60 x 50 inches.
What you should consider: It’s more decorative than functional as it doesn’t give off much heat.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
Top afghan blanket for the money
What you need to know: This knitted afghan comes in 14 simple colors and patterns including waves, checks and stripes, making it a great addition to minimalist spaces.
What you will love: It’s made of soft, durable acrylic that’s machine washable. It is light and practical too. Overall, it’s 51 inches by 67 inches, including the tassels.
What you should consider: It is stretchy and may lose its shape over time.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
It’s worth trying
What you need to know: This large afghan knit blanket is solid color and is best suited for modern spaces.
What you will love: This machine washable blanket comes in six colors including burgundy and charcoal, is made of polyester and has tassels. It’s heavy and thick, making it ideal for colder climates. It also comes in two sizes: 50″ x 60″ and 60″ x 80″.
What you should consider: It is loosely threaded so it can come loose if someone pulls on it frequently.
Where to buy: Sold by Wayfair
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Cash Daily Deals by BestReviews.
Register here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter with useful advice on new products and notable offers.
Angela Watson writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.
Suggest a correction